May 24, 2009

Are You Crazy?

What can I say? I believe Jesus.

Don't think for a second that I enjoy the scorn and revulsion that often comes from preaching the Gospel. I don't, I really don't. But, in my estimation it is worth enduring, so that others can be saved. I believe that this is love.

Personally, I would like to pursue a quiet life in the country, a few acres, a nice house, a garden, maybe have a boat, and build a nice savings for a comfortable retirement. Shoot, I have a pretty nice job and it is very tempting to pursue these things.

But, because I believe Jesus, I also believe in the Judgment, and in the Resurrection. This changes everything.

Jesus the author of my faith; for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, not caring about the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Following Jesus is NOT something that makes your time on earth more comfortable. Don't misunderstand, following the Lord brings many wonderful blessings, but the path always leads to the cross. This means we sacrifice ourselves for the sake of others, knowing that our reward is at the resurrection.

The hope of the resurrection and the promise of eternal rest in Jesus' kingdom give me the freedom to love others and my own expense.

Now is the time for work and sacrifice, later comes the rest and reward.This is why Jesus says to count the cost before following him. It requires faith to make the sacrifice.

So, am I crazy?

Well, if the Judgment and Resurrection are real, then making the sacrifice to love and preach the Gospel is the wisest thing a person could do.

But if the words of Jesus are false, and there is no resurrection, then I am a fool who has wasted his only chance for earthly comfort.

I know what I believe, you can decide for yourself.





No comments: